A. Lange & Söhne German Watches
Having completed an apprenticeship with royal Saxonian watch maker master Christian Friedrich Gutkaes, Ferdinand Adolph Lange travels Europe to work for and learn from the best names in the watch making industry. He returns to Dresden, marries Gutkaes' daughter Antonia, and life couldn't be better for him. But his heart goes out to the many poor people up in the mountains. In 1845 he decides bring jobs to the small town of Glashütte. A government loan allows him to hire 15 apprentices, many of whom will later start their own businesses in Glashütte.
His sons Emil and Richard join. In 1868 the business name changes to A. Lange & Söhne.
German Emperor Kaiser Wilhelm presented an A. Lange & Söhne pocket watch as a gift to Sultan Abdul Hamid II at his visit to the Osman Empire in 1898. You can take a look at this watch at the Topkapi Sarayi Museum in Istanbul.
The Lange factory was bombed on the last day of World War II, and the Soviets expropriated the enterprise. After the fall of the Berlin Wall, Ferdiand A. Lange's great-grandson Walter returned to Glashütte and established the company again. In 1994, the SAXONIA and other new watches left the A. Lange factory.
The spirit of artistry is reflected by every facet of the SAXONIA. In particular, its movements are a symphony of colors, combining the golden glow of the chatons, the cornflower-blue screws, and the ruby-red bearing jewels. Its dials are an object lesson in harmony and aesthetic appeal. And only the most precious materials are used to craft its cases.